Monday, March 21, 2011

And the First Dor Galen Lamb of 2011 is Born in the Stock Tank!!!

One of our Dor Galen ewes  was acting nervous yesterday at 5:50 P.M. She is a first time lamber and I have no doubt she was wondering what was going on. She didn't want to come into the barn yesterday when my hubby was moving the rest of the Dor Galen flock from the front paddock.  I had a feeling we should check her before we went to bed at midnight, so out to the barn we went, flashlight in hand. After an initial check, we didn't find anything, but I decided to go down the central aisle of the barn to check.
The end of the aisle is closest to the stock tank located in the back paddock behind the barn. I heard a baby lamb bleat and told hubby. He again went into the back paddock and yelled, "Bring me a towel, quick! There is a baby in the stock tank!" Off I went to get a towel and returned. He dried the lamb off and handed him to me wrapped in the towel. The rest of the flock was sorted through until we found the mother. We placed the lamb and mother together in the center aisle by themselves to bond and get acquainted. We checked them again this morning and I will check on them every couple of hours today.

What a way to come into the world............dropped in a stock tank!!! Fortunately, the tank was half full or we would have had a drowned lamb.

Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase, "sink or swim"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment